Ottimo Ottobre


Heading toward the fountain.
It's the second time I've been to Italy in autumn in the past 3 years and my first October trip to the South. It was spectacular and I'll do it again in a minute. The crowds go home, the locals are back to their routines and the beaches are bare. That said, it was still wonderfully warm during the day, evening walks were pleasant with only a light maglia (sweater) and there is no shortage of things to do, see and taste.

San Giorgio Morgeto - Wednesday market

I spent a week in Calabria wandering around and visiting, getting poked fun at for my broken dialect and joking with the kids in English.  My hosts and the people who came to find me were all so generous.  Just being present when the family was cooking cinghiale over an open fire (to feed 18 people!) was one of the many highlights.

We took the morning before I left for Torino to visit the Bronzi di Riace.  The fact that this stunning find could have remained lost forever, gives me goosebumps even now! Check out  the crazy incredible story of how they came to be in the National Archaeological Museum in Reggio Calabria. Only one of the many fascinating gems of this region.  Admission to the Museo is 5 Euros for adults, 3 Euros if you are 18-25 and under 18 is free.


Bronzi di Riace - Bronzo B

If you get a flight to Rome, Reggio Calabria is a cheap Vueling flight away. Once you are there, the captivating medieval towns, rich history and the surreal flavours of the cooking make it so hard to leave.  But Slowfood, Torino and the land of Barolo were waiting.. 

Comments

Popular Posts