Feijoas

Feijoas are on everyone's mind lately.. the season is now in full swing and crumbles, chutneys and wine are being whipped up all around the country with feijoa in the starring role.

I spent the season on the lower North island last year and was a bit spoiled. With an unattended feijoa tree next door and a woman at work who brought them in by the box load, we ate heaps of this crumble. This year, there is no shortage at the supermarket, and as I am hopelessly addicted, they will have to do.

I like to keep it simple.. an easy Edmonds cookbook crumble with a few minor alterations is a great start to the day, a tasty mid afternoon pick me up and is a lovely way to end a meal.

A quick slice and scoop removes the juicy, gelatinous and slightly grainy fruit interior and the pulp goes straight into a buttered dish. No pre-cooking required as feijoa will reduce to a bubbling golden creaminess in the time it takes the crumble topping to become brown and crunchy.

Only a sprinkle of brown sugar tops the feijoa and an occasional bit of ginger or cinnamon. I will do this occasionally for something different but this really needs no embellishment.

The crumble is adapted from Edmonds cookbook:

75g butter
1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
Process or stir/mash to resemble coarse breadcrumb.
Add 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant) I usually use a bit more.
Stir in 1/2 of caster sugar. (I use a bit less).

I use my hands to coarsely crumble the mixture over the fruit. Bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes. My favourite topping is either ice cream (hokey pokey or homemade custard ice cream) or a quick custard made to your taste that can be whipped up while the crumble is baking.

Comments

Popular Posts