Summer pasta

Dried hand-made pasta.

The garden is in a state (more on that later) but right now, it's the end of August and it's lunchtime. Pasta doesn't get any simplier.

No knife required.  I used pasta (made a few days ago and dried) that I had in the fridge.  Once that was in the salted, boiling water, I set the frypan on medium high heat, added a tablespoon of olive oil, an anchovy or maybe two (I like the kind perserved under oil with chilies), and gathered my garlic and tomato. 

Cook, mashing until the anchovy fillet has mostly disintegrated in the oil, add half a clove of grated garlic, cooking only until fragrant and then, the tomato.  I just gave it a squeeze and its in the pan, seeds and all.  Again mashing, until it is broken up to form the body of the sauce (and provide a good coating for the pasta).  The peel will separate out and can be picked from the sauce if you aren't partial.  Finally, a few torn fresh basil leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Toss the cooked, drained pasta in the pan and drizzle with your best Southern Italian olive oil.  Serve.

If anchovies aren't your thing, add a good portion of finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano at the end.  I'm not partial to the flavour of cheese and anchovy, but this isn't about me.  You could add cheese to taste either way.

Summer pasta is all about speed, ease and fresh flavour. This comes together in the time it takes to boil the pasta, and given the nature (thinness) of this pasta, that is no time at all.



Hand-made pasta dressed in a fresh tomato sauce.
 Mangia!

Comments

Popular Posts